Kamome has made an excellent technique for making amazing circles. This is a more detailed description:
Make a square selection
1. Open an image in Photoshop (screenshots are from Photoshop CS2 on Mac). Higher resolution and size will give better results. I have used a picture I took myself some time ago. If you want to use the same picture for this How to, you can find it here.
2. You need to make a selection that is squared. Use the selection tool, and set the aspect ratio to fixed:
3. Enter the same number in both fields. 1 and 1 works.
4. Make a selection.
Apply the filter
5. Apply the filter Polar Coordinates:
6. In this step, use the bottom radio button, marked “Polar to Rectangular”:
Rotate and apply filter again
8. Rotate the selection 180 degrees. There are a few different ways to do this. One of them is to use the Edit menu, then Transform and Rotate 180 degrees.
Distort > Polar Coordinates… again.
This time, choose the upper radio button, labeled “Rectangular to Polar”:
Crop and save
10. Crop your picture to get rid of the stuff surrounding your new Amazing circle:
group for Amazing circles. Please join!
You might want to have a look at all the other posts I have about Flickr!
Update 1: 100 members
Now 100 members on the Flickr group. Read about it here.
Update 2: 400 members
As of December 25, 2005, the Flickr group has over 400 members, and appproaching 3 500 amazing circles. Wow!
Update 3: Digged
Update 4: Amazing circles with GIMP
Flatfield at Flickr has posted instructions how to make Amazing Circles with GIMP.
Update 5: Dumpr.net
If you’re lazy 😉 just use the new automatic Amazing circles tool at Dumpr.net.